As dead as Bob is


 

My name is Uriah Muller and I’m making this statement of my own free will

I admit that 24 hours ago, I wanted to see my best friend Bob dead.

This is because I kept seeing him with my wife in every cheap hotel in town.

No, in my imagination.

I didn’t actually catch them together until last night.

But I heard word about them.

Everywhere I went people kept telling me.

It all added up.

So I set off to find him, knowing that if I didn’t catch him quick I would cool down and just feel hurt.

I guess I always had high hopes for me and Dora.

After all our years of struggling, some of my land deals were about to pay off.

Then this happened.

I knew that if they knew I knew they would scoot out of town. So I hurried over to his place.

No, I didn’t bring my Colt.

I deliberately left it in the safe at home so I wouldn’t have it.

I’m bad with numbers when I’m upset so I couldn’t have remembered the combination.

As much as I wanted Bob dead, I didn’t want to do it so fast. I wanted to beat Bob dead with my bare hands.

But I found him dead when I arrived, the small Colt lying near his head, the smell of burnt gunpowder telling me it had just happened.

The gun looked familiar and I nearly picked up, halting only when I remembered about the fingerprints.

But I looked at it close and saw how much it looked like the Colt I had locked up at home.

The same model.

The same pearl handle.

In fact it had the same notch mind had in the handle from the time I dropped it at the range.

It took me a moment to realize that it was my gun.

That’s when I picked it up.  The metal was still warm.

That’s when I heard a woman laughing in the other room and found my wife sitting on the bed just hanging up the telephone.

She told me she and Bob had a good thing going, and had even plotted out my death so they could run off together.

But Bob got greedy when he heard how rich I got, and wanted us both dead.

She killed him first.

I mistook her meaning.

I thought she was sorry for it all and had killed Bob out of self defense.

She shook her head.

She said she just called the police to tell them how I had killed Bob in a jealous rage.

She even laughed, saying how she would take my money and find another Bob while I served my time in jail.

I don’t think straight when I’m upset.

I didn’t even realize I was shooting until the gun was empty and the hammer clicked on expended shells.

But I do remember seeing Dora drop to the floor, dead as Bob was.

 

 

 




Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crystal clear

Cold Comfort

don’t need love right now